Saturday, December 20, 2008

The doll is finished

Pinning the body together and sewing it.
body is all sewn up now deciding where to put the eyes and mouth
All done........More photos soon of her in her new dress, pants and bracelet. She came out great and I hope that my daughter loves her as much as I loved making her. I am so glad that I decided to do this instead of just buying one. Now maybe I will have to make some more to sell. It was so much fun.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

New Machine....some doll progress

pattern for body and arms traced on to fabric

Sewing was started but this is where my old machine went kaput !!!!

My brand new Viking Emerald 116....bottom of the line, but sews like a champ. I can't believe I was using the old machine for so long. This one goes through several layers of fabric with ease. And was so easy to use I had it up and threaded without even having to peek at the manual. I go a really good deal off a floor model sale. They showed me several amazing (but way more expensive) machines that MAYBE I can move up to some day but for now this machine will be perfect.

Maybe now I can finish up the doll !!!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Abrupt Halt

The doll progress came to an abrupt halt yesterday .... while sewing the body on my machine it stopped working. I will be out looking for a new sewing machine on Thursday as I have orders to make as well as the doll (which I could hand sew).
Any suggestions on a good machine under $300. I need a work horse as I sew and sew and sew. Don't need many bells and whistles though since I mostly straight stitch with the occasional zig zag.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Birth of a Waldorf Doll

Beginning to stuff the wool into the stockinette fabric. It says to use half of the stuffing for the head.

The head is now stuff and the neck is tied off.

Adding the eye line with dental floss.
This shows all the floss tied around the various parts of the head....side view.Pinning the people colored fabric over the finished head. I chose a darker skin tone so it would be closer to my daughters actual skin tone.l
I decided to go with a nose...this view is from the front of the doll after the fabric is pinned on.
View after the fabric is stitched on.
Back view showing the stitching. A lot of this will be covered by hair in the final doll but you will always be able to see part of the sewing "scar"

As you can see above I finally had a chance to spend a couple of hours today working on the Waldorf doll I am making my daughter for Christmas. I had a chance I to make the head and cover with the fabric. Next up will be the body. I am hoping I have time to also make a couple of outfits , a sleeping bag, pillow and a little teddy for the doll but no guarantees...I will feel lucky if I can get the doll made and get her dressed.

I will post more pictures as I progress.