Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Doll is Born

The first item on my 5 y/o daughter's Christmas list (started sometime in July) is a doll. Since I did not know what type of doll she was referring to we sat down at the computer and looked at several different types like the baby doll (the ones that pee and poop and cry a lot), the American Girl Type doll (with that look that always reminds me of the horror movie Chucky) and some soft Waldorf type dolls so I could gage what she was really hoping for. In the back of my mind I was pulling for the Waldorf doll since as a crafter they are my personal favorite. Well Waldorf it was as she insists a soft doll is what she wants. I started looking around for dolls and suddenly realized a larger 16-18 inch doll is around $100. In my head I understand the cost because of the handwork that goes into making one but I also could not bring my self to pay that much for a doll for a 5 year old whose toy choices change from minute to minute. So what is my solution ???? Well it is to make one myself of course.
I know that the time and effort put into this is probably worth the $100 to buy one but the more I thought about it the more I felt that making the doll for her is the right thing to do.....I am hoping she will love it even more since it was made with her mommy's own hands (and most likely blood, sweat and tears). That being said I went to the Weir Doll website and ordered my supplies. So I am going to blog the process over the next few weeks as I make the doll in the midst of all of my other crafting for my shop and holiday bazaars.....Wish me luck.
The supplies I ordered were a pattern, stockingette (sp?) for the head, tan knit for the skin, brunette mohair and a brunette mohair/wool blend for the hair (couldn't make up my mind and I might use both), doll making needles, ball needles for my sewing machine, wool stuffing and tan cotton thread. I am going to use some of my fabric stash for the clothing and I have lots of embroidery thread for the eyes and mouth.
I am going with tan skin as my daughter is a little darker because of her Filipino father and she wanted a doll with long dark hair just like hers.